The new Macro Twin Lite gives serious close-up, nature, and macro enthusiasts
a different option in macro lighting"a directional quality of light, as opposed
to the rather flat character of the traditional ring lite. Two separate flash
heads can be swiveled around the lens, can be aimed separately, and even removed
from their holder and mounted off-camera. Like the MR-14EX, the new Macro Twin
Lite MT-24EX is fully E-TTL compatible with all EOS bodies, including digital
SLRs, and even allows Wireless E-TTL flash control with one or more 580EX,
550EX,430EX and/or 420EX slave units. It also provides easy ratio
control of each flash heads output, over a six-stop range.
- Twin-head macro flash unit, for directional lighting in close-up photography with full E-TTL automatic flash control (including with Digital EOS SLR bodies).
- Each head can be rotated around lens in an 80? arc, swiveled inward or outward over a 90? arc, and swiveled up and down over a 90? arc. Actual flash coverage is approximately 70? horizontal x 53? vertical (with the head in a horizontal position).
- Each head is removable, and has both a standard shoe-mount and 1/4-20 female tripod socket at the base to facilitate mounting off-camera.
- Powerful guide number (72 ft/22m) allows smaller apertures and greater depth-of-field when necessary.
- Full E-TTL automatic flash control with compatible EOS bodies, including EOS-1D, D60, and D30 digital SLRs. Reverts to standard ?off the film? TTL control with older EOS 35mm bodies. E-TTL features supported include FE Lock, FP (high-speed) sync, ratio control of A:B flash heads over a six-stop range, and Wireless E-TTL control of off-camera 550EX and/or 420EX Slave Units (with compatible ?Type A? bodies).
- Incandescent focusing lamps, and two different types of 1-second modeling flash allow easy focusing and previewing of lighting effects.
- Mounts directly onto the following Canon EF Macro lenses: EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, and MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1~5x Macrophoto. Attaches with accessory ring Macro Lite Adapter 72C to EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro.
Type of flash: Macro flash unit with adjustable and removable twin straight flash heads; separate controller unit attaches to camera?s hot shoe
- Guide Number:
(with both tubes firing at full power) 72 (feet) / 22 (m), at ISO 100
- Standard Power Source:
4 AA batteries in controller unit (Alkaline, Lithium, rechargeable Ni-Cd or Ni-MH AAs are OK)
- Optional Power Source:
External battery packs ? Compact Battery Pack E or E2, and Transistor Pack E
- E-TTL controls:
Flash +/- exposure compensation, Flash Exposure Bracketing, FE Lock, FP sync, and Ratio Control of left:right (A:B) flash tubes over a 6-stop range (8:1 ~ 1:8 lighting ratios), and Wireless E-TTL with off-camera 550EX and/or 420EX Slave Units
- Manual flash exposure mode:
Variable from full (1/1) ~ 1/64 power; Ratio Control of left:right (A:B) flash tubes from 1/1 to 1/64 power is possible
- Setting Method:
Illuminated LCD panel on Controller Unit (similar to 550EX Speedlite)
- Custom Functions:
Nine Custom Functions on MT-24EX, in addition to any in camera); set on MT-24EX Controller LCD panel.
- Modeling Flash:
- One-second burst at 70Hz in E-TTL or Manual flash modes, showing ratios*
- With C.Fn 4-1 (on MT-24EX), uniform one-second burst at 70Hz with any EOS body by pressing Controller Unit?s test button